Image Map

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

DIY Salad Dressing

Saro bought us a NutriBullet a few weeks ago (after the cat kicked the blender off the counter and broke it!) and I've been using it for fruit shakes in the morning.  Loving it!

Last night I figured, why not make the salad dressing in it?  I've been making my own salad dressing for almost a year, just whisking all of the ingredients in a bowl.  I figured since this would blend better, I'd give it a try.

Here's the recipe which I found online but altered a little:

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (Trader Joe's)
2 tbsp dijon mustard
3 crushed garlic cloves
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning (McCormick) or you can use fresh herbs
2 tsp raw organic honey (Trader Joe's)
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Blend for 30 seconds.  Store in fridge for up to 10 days.

I'm having it today with a spring mix/cranberry/goat cheese/almond salad.

A lot of bottled dressings aren't good for you and I've learned over the last year that low fat and fat free aren't necessarily healthier.  Stick to good fats and eat clean.  Raw nuts, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, natural peanut butter (not Skippy, Jif, Peter Pan).

You have to wonder - what does fat free dressing have if it doesn't have olive oil?  Probably vegetable oil which is chemically processed.  Yes, EVOO is high in calories and fat but it's good for your body.

Just food for thought :)

No comments:

Post a Comment