Image Map

Monday, March 24, 2014

Fastest 5K in 1 year!

If you've been reading my blog, you know I had a back injury last April after running 9 miles, 2 weeks before running my first half marathon.  An MRI showed a minor slipped disc/herniation.  Minor felt like major.  The pain was horrible.
 
Anyway, since then, I pretty much avoided running (after somehow managing to make it through the 13.1 miles).  I started Couch to 5K a few months ago but as the miles increased, I started to feel the pinch in my back again.  So, being stubborn and determined, I started Focus T25 10 weeks ago.  I've pretty much followed the schedule to a "T" minus about 3-4 days.
 
Yesterday I just had the itch to go for a run.  Although it was cold and windy, I was going to go for 2 miles.  After that, I looked at my phone and was shocked at my time - 20:26.  I didn't even feel like I was going fast (to me, 10 min/mile is fast).  I've done a 9 min/mile but never quicker than that.
 
I was still about a mile from home so I decided to go for the 3.1.  I finished in 33:17.  As I logged it into Map my run, I noticed that it was my fastest time for 3.1 in exactly one year!
 
I don't plan on training for another half marathon.  I definitely think physical therapy and cross training/T25 has helped strengthen my core.  I am sore today - legs and abs because I haven't ran that in a while.
 
I do plan on signing up for the GWB American Cancer Society in June.  It'll be the 3rd year in a row.
 
 
 
I start the Beta phase of Focus T25 today - yikes.
 
Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment