Image Map

Thursday, October 3, 2013

BYO Breakfast & Lunch = Save $

Happy Thursday!

This week, I've been on point with having breakfast at home (since I started the new job 6 months ago, this is easier for me as I have an extra hour in the morning) and packing my lunch and snacks for the day.

I have one egg cooked in coconut oil with Frank's hot sauce and maybe some avocado and either a green fruit smoothie or recently, my homemade applsauce.  This keeps me full from 8:00-11:00.  Around then, I have an apple or pear with peanut butter, or nuts.

This week, I've packed a small side salad each day with my homemade dressing on the side and my leftover gluten free eggplant parm or chicken & roasted veggies.

By doing this, while it takes more time, I save about $7-$10/day.  I also haven't been stopping at Dunkin Donuts for coffee in the morning or during my lunch so this saves another $2-$3. 

$13/day x 20 work days in the month = $260!

If I had to estimate how much the eggplant parm, chicken, veggies and salad cost, I'd say $30.  We also had the eggplant parm & chicken and veggies 1-2 nights for dinner.  So $30 for lunch and dinner from Mon-Fri is a win I'd say!

My breakfast calculation is $0.70 for coffee (one k-cup and incl. cream), $0.25 for 1 egg, $0.40 for 1/4 of an avocado and it's hard to estimate the fruit smoothie since there are a lot of ingredients but I'd say $1 (handful of spinach, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, handful frozen berries, tsp flax seed, tsp cinnamon) = $2.35 for breakfast versus $2.50 for just ONE coffee at a coffee shop, no food!

We have a cafeteria at work and their food is decent but it's usually $7/meal.

What do you do on a normal basis for breakfast and lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment