Image Map

Thursday, September 25, 2014

5K PR!

I started running in April of 2012 with couch to 5k.   After C25K, we started Bridge to 10k and then decided to sign up for the NJ half marathon.  Two weeks prior to the race after running 9 miles, I threw my back out and was in excruciating pain.  I saw the chiropractor every day for those next 2 weeks and he told me I've come this far and that I need to try to run this race.

Well, I did in 2 hours and 43 minutes.  The first 8 went well and the last 5 were pretty terrible.  My body was telling me I'm not meant for long distance.  I literally couldn't walk after the race and felt sick to my stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After kicking and screaming, I finally got an MRI and learned that I have a low back/disc issue causing sciatica.  I went to PT for a good 6 months or so.

I think Piyo has really been helping my running by strengthening my core.  I know, you use your legs the most during running but your core and back are highly involved as well.  Somehow it's making me run faster.  My legs are a lot stronger and more muscular.

Last night after work, Saro and I did Piyo Full Body Blast.  In this 30 minute video, you use "slides" aka frisbees with felt around it so you can slide around on the floor.  It's a killer workout with a lot of planks and leg work.  I may or may not yell at Chalene Johnson during this video.

We started running together and then I noticed Saro was behind.  I didn't want to stop because my first mile was 9:36 and I thought to myself, if I could keep this pace, I'll obtain my sub 30 minute 5k!  My first mile is almost always my quickest.  My 2nd mile was 9:53 and my 3rd mile was 9:39 - I finished in 30:06!  I know I'll get to that sub 30 goal soon!



Happy Friday Eve and Rosh Hashanah!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments: