Image Map

Friday, August 2, 2013

Gram's Buttermilk Cake

Happy Friday, all!  I decided to enter my Grandma's *almost famous* buttermilk cake recipe into an online contest.  It's called "Grandma's Favorite Recipe" contest and I immediately though of her cake.  The prize is a Kitchen Aid mixer.  I already have one so IF I win, I'll donate it.

I called her last night to tell her and she was really happy  :)  Wish me luck!  This recipe is NOT healthy but is really good.  I may or may not have had a sliver last night with ice cream...

3 cups flour
3 cups sugar (!)
1 cup Crisco - yup, CRISCO - vegetable oil BADNESS.
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
6 eggs

Cream Crisco, sugar and vanilla until combined.

Add eggs, one at a time & mix.  Then add flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk.  Fold 120 times by hand.  Not literally.  I used a wooden spoon.  Old fashioned recipe, people.  Before Kitchen Aid mixers and hand mixers.

Pour into a greased angel food pan.  Place in the oven (NOT preheated).  Turn oven to 300 and bake for 80 minutes, turning every 20 minutes or so.  Test with a knife in the center.  If any residue on the knife, continue to bake.  When the knife is clean, turn oven off but leave the cake in the oven for another 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let it sit for a while before slicing.  It's very moist! 

Enjoy with ice cream and/or berries.  It's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment