Image Map

Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: Coconut Flour Muffins

Happy Friday, all!

I ordered coconut flour for the first time from one of my favorite sites, Vitacost.  Last night I had a little extra time on my hands so I decided to make muffins with it.  Here's the recipe followed by a review:

1/2 cup plus 3 TBSP coconut flour
2 TBSP coconut oil (melted)
2 TBSP raw honey
1 TSP vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/3 cup full fat, unsweetened coconut milk (I used organic Thai kitchen)
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup almond milk
1/8 TSP baking soda

Mix all ingredients together - baked in a greased or muffin lined pan at 350 for 30 minutes.

Review:

Easy and quick to make.

Texture:  They won't "puff up" like normal muffins.  They'll stay about the same size and might even shrink when they cool down.  The middle was a little doughy but I toasted it and drizzled honey on it for breakfast.

Taste:  Good.  Definitely different than a normal muffin (no flour, butter or sugar - all the good stuff, ha!).  They are probably best sliced in half and toasted, then served with honey or a little butter.

Calories:  According to MFP, 205 each.

Have you baked without flour and refined sugar?  What did you make?  What's your opinion on flourless baking?

No comments:

Post a Comment