Image Map

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Fall Decor & Butternut Squash Recipe

If you haven't heard of Paper Source, I highly recommend it. They have awesome paper products, gifts & decorations.

I recently bought this "give thanks" garland kit and we put it together last night and added it to our fireplace mantel.



Currently, we are getting these steps replaced to create a bigger platform on top which is much more convenient with Murphy and winter/trekking in snow, dirt, etc. The town wouldn't let us do a mini deck which we really wanted but new steps will have to suffice. They were old and needed to be replaced.


The "T" kind of looks like a "J" but oh well ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Do you like butternut squash? It's my favorite kind of squash. I'm not a fan of spaghetti squash and to me, zucchini & summer squash is so blah. However I did find and make a great recipe on Pinterest for zucchini ricotta cakes. Wouldn't you agree that cheese makes everything a bit better?

Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash, about 3 lbs.
4 cups chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 yam or sweet potato
1 apple
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp corriander
1 tsp nutmeg 
1 tsp curry powder or paste (optional)
1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut milk (optional)
Chopped walnuts (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. Chop and saute the onion in the butter for 5 minutes. Add curry and cook for 2 minutes. Peel and cube butternut squash (you can do this ahead of time or buy pre-cut). Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 15 minutes. Add to crockpot with all other ingredients except heavy cream and walnuts. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Process in batches in food processor until smooth. Add back to the crockpot with the heavy cream and simmer for about an hour. Top with walnuts and enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lastly, me and Murphy just chillin' on Sunday.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. I love your fall decor! I wish we had a fireplace, and steps for that matter.
    Speaking of things I wish… I wish Scott's palate would appreciate a more foods - like butternut squash, that soup sounds delicious, but I know I'd be the only one eating it.

    ReplyDelete